Wednesday 16 July 2014

WIP Wednesday

Well, technically, my part of this quilt is finished, so it's really someone else's WIP, but that still counts, right?

Cool stars

This is a quilt "chunk" that I made for my friend Jess from The Elven Garden. We are both part of a little bee called the Pinprov bee - there are just six of us and we are making blocks for each other based on images we've pinned on pinterest. Jess asked for pops of cool colour on a low volume background.

Cool stars

The first thing that popped into my head were these fun wee star blocks. I made three in different colours, using this Scrappy Star tutorial by Clover and Violet.

Cool stars

Then I needed to fill in the space around the star blocks. Some of the quilts Jess had pinned featured improv curves. I meant to make this year my year of getting comfortable with curved piecing, but it really hasn't been happening so far. Anyway, I decided to take the plunge and pieced some very simple improv curves. I used the method described by Anne from Play Crafts in this tutorial (hosted on Lily's Quilts) and the very similar method described by Rita from Red Pepper Quilts in this tutorial. Really, like they both say, improv curves are not so scary once you give them a try!

I really enjoyed making this chunk and I'm glad it gave me the opportunity and little push I needed to try improv curves. Expect to see more of them from me!

I'm linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced:

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Follow on Bloglovin

9 comments:

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

Wonderful blocks and selections based on the description Jess gave you. I should really try out curved improv piecing; glad you tackled it with such delightful results!

JB said...

Love they star block!

Laurelle said...

Love it! I I think I am a bit addicted to love volume with bits of colour :)

Cari said...

This looks so soft and lovely. The star blocks with the strips coming out from the triangles are really interesting. I bet that would look cool covering a whole quilt.

Renee said...

Oooh I love these! Sounds like a fun group!

Tawa said...

Love the blocks, and the low volume fabrics. You don't happen to know the name of the cream based fabric above the dark blue star in the second photo do you?

Rachel said...

Lovely!

ileana said...

i love this! it's gorgeous!

do you know the name of the fabric with the script on it? i love that too. your choice of fabrics is sweet!

Ashley Calder said...

This is so cool. :)